Offices located at the Coastal Georgia Center
Partners of the Coastal Georgia Center
"Georgia Southern University, a member institution of the University System of Georgia, is the largest and most comprehensive center of higher education in the southern half of Georgia. A residential campus of 16,646 students, Georgia Southern is one of the top universities of choice in Georgia for new freshmen and for HOPE Scholars. Students come from almost every U.S. state and 86 nations, bringing a broad spectrum of backgrounds, interests and talents to the University community.
"The University's hallmark is a superior undergraduate experience emphasizing academic distinction, excellent teaching and student success. Georgia Southern focuses first on students and what they value: a well-rounded college experience, a faculty where professors' first priority is teaching and a campus environment that encourages learning and growing. With expanding graduate programs and opportunities for discovery, Georgia Southern is also committed to embracing its research mission.
"The University offers 120 degree programs at the baccalaureate, master's and doctoral levels through seven colleges: Business Administration, Education, Health and Human Sciences, Science and Technology, Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, Information Technology, and Graduate Studies. Georgia Southern is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and has earned special accreditation from professional and academic associations that set standards in their fields."
For more information about Georgia Southern University please visit their website at: GeorgiaSouthern.edu
"Armstrong Atlantic State University, part of the University System of Georgia, was founded in 1935 as Armstrong Junior College to enhance higher educational opportunities in the community. The college was established by the mayor and aldermen of the City of Savannah and housed in the Italian Renaissance Armstrong House, a gift to the city from the family of George F. Armstrong. Over the years the college occupied six additional buildings in the Forsyth Park and Monterey Square areas.
"In 1959, as Armstrong College of Savannah, it became a two-year unit of the University System of Georgia. The Board of Regents conferred four-year status on Armstrong State College in 1964. Two years later the college moved to its present 268-acre site, a gift from the Mills B. Lane Foundation and Donald Livingston. Additional buildings joined the six original structures as Armstrong added professional and graduate programs and quadrupled in size. Fifty-seven percent of the student population comes from outside the Savannah-Chatham County area including Georgia, the nation, and more than 70 countries.
"On July 10, 1996, the institution gained university status and a new name: Armstrong Atlantic State University. Today, Armstrong Atlantic offers more than seventy-five academic programs and majors in the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Education, College of Health Professions, School of Computing, and School of Graduate Studies. The academic community includes more than 6,700 students, 405 full- and part-time faculty members, and a staff of 357. "Armstrong Atlantic State University has been accredited as a senior institution by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools since January 1, 1968, and was last reaccredited in December 2002."
For more information about Armstrong Atlantic State University please visit their website at: armstrong.edu
Savannah State University, founded in 1890, is the oldest public historically black college in Georgia. Originally named Georgia State Industrial College for Colored Youth, Savannah State University was located in Athens, Georgia for several months in 1891. On October 7, 1891, Savannah State University moved to its permanent location in Savannah. Major Richard R. Wright Sr. served as the institution's first president from 1891-1921.
Under the administration of the school's third President, Benjamin F. Hubert, the college became a full-time degree granting institution in 1928. Four years later, Georgia State Industrial College for Colored Youths was renamed Georgia State College
During the tenure of the college's fifth president, Dr. William K. Payne, the school became Savannah State College. In 1996, the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia granted the school university status and the institution was renamed Savannah State University. For more information about Savannah State University please visit their website at: savstate.edu